18 Terms a Roofing Company in Iowa City Wants You to Know — At Robison, we know that understanding roofing terminology can be challenging. As a trusted roofing company in Iowa City we want you to know the ins and outs of what happens during a roof replacement. To help you understand everything your roof contractor is telling you, we’ve compiled a glossary of commonly used roofing terms.
Roofing Company in Iowa City — Why Is It Important to Understand These Roofing Terms?
When working with a respected roofing company in Iowa City, they might use terms that are specific to the roofing industry. So, with that fact in mind, it might be helpful to have a reference guide when talking to your roofing contractor.
Roofing Glossary from a Roofing Company in Iowa City
- ARMA- This phrase relates to the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association, which is a trade association in North America for asphalt roofing.
- Asphalt- A waterproofing substance applied to roofing materials.
- Back Surfacing- Refers to the fine matter applied to the backs of shingles to keep them from sticking together.
- Base Flashing- This is the part of the flashing attached to, or resting on, the roof’s deck. It is used to direct water flow onto your home’s roof covering.
- Base Sheet- This product is used as a base ply for a self-adhering roofing system.
- Blisters- A roofing company in Iowa City will use this term to describe any bubbles that appear on your asphalt roof after installation.
- Caulk- Mastic or asphalt material used to fill joints and holes, used to prevent leaks.
- Class “A” Fire Resistance- This means that the shingle passed the highest fire test. Shingles with this rating can withstand exposure to severe fires that originated from outside the building.
- Collar- This is a pre-formed flange that goes over a vent pipe. It is used to seal the roof around the pipe’s opening. It is also known as a vent sleeve.
- Downspout- This refers to the pipe used for draining water away from your roof’s gutters. A roofing company in Iowa City might also refer to this as a leader.
- Drip Edge- This material is placed along your roof’s eaves and is corrosion-resistant. It allows water to run off of your roof.
- Eave- This is the lower edge of a sloped roof, and is always horizontal.
- Flashing- These are metal pieces used to prevent water from seeping into your home. You will find flashing around your vent pipes, chimneys, dormers, valleys, and adjoining walls.
Find Out Why We Are One of the Top Roofing Companies in Iowa City.
- Granules- These are crushed rocks that are applied to exposed asphalt roofing products. They are typically coated in ceramics.
- Impact Resistant Shingles- These shingles are designed to be more resistant to hailstorms and tend to have a longer lifespan than the average asphalt shingles.
One of the Most Trusted Roofing Companies in Iowa City
- Laminated Shingles- A roofing company in Iowa City can also refer to these as three-dimensional shingles. They contain more than one layer of asphalt and are thicker than average shingles.
- Primer- This is a substance used to prepare surfaces for self-adhering asphalt sheets.
- Square- A common unit of measurement used by roofers. It means 100 feet of a given roofing material.
At Robison, we are your trusted source for commercial roof repair in Iowa City. We provide fast and professional service for every kind of roof. Our team of professionals is here to service your roof from start to finish, we even provide residential roof repair in Iowa City. We are also a metal building contractor in Iowa City.