5 Little Known Differences Between Steel and Aluminum Roofs According to One of the Top Roofing Companies in Iowa City —As one of the best roofing companies in Iowa City, we know the benefits of a metal roof will blow your mind. A metal roof has a tremendous number of perks. The most noteworthy advantages include lasting up to 50 years, having excellent wind and fire resistance, providing outstanding energy efficiency, and maintaining structural integrity.
Metal roofs also come in a variety of materials. For instance, our Roofing Companies in Iowa City offers:
- stainless steel
However, in this article, we are going to compare the difference between steel and aluminum for Iowa metal roofs.
Roofing Companies in Iowa City-What is a Steel Roof?
A steel roof is often known as a “forever roof.” This material is sturdy, safe, and completely recyclable, which many people find beneficial. The thickness of steel is designated by gauge and is typically 24 to 26 gauge. While steel was most common for buildings in Europe many years ago, it is now becoming a very popular choice among homes in North America.
Steel has several benefits:
- Fire Resistance – With a steel roof, you won’t have to worry about fires occurring since steel roofs have a Class-A fire rating.
- Value – Compared to many other roofs, steel lasts much longer and reduces energy costs by reflecting heat. While upfront installation costs may be higher, the overall value tends to outweigh the costs.
- Quick Installation – It does not take long for a roofing company in Iowa City to install a steel roof.
- Moss Resistant – Iowa weather is sometimes humid and makes it easy for moss, algae, and fungi to grow. This is why our roofing company in Iowa City prefers metal roofs since steel is moss resistant.
- Energy Efficiency – Steel is an excellent option for Iowa homes because steel has high reflectivity, which means less heat infiltrating into the home.
Roofing Companies in Iowa City-What is an Aluminum Roof?
Similar to steel, aluminum is also known for its durability, energy efficiency, and longevity.
In addition to resistance to corrosion, other benefits according to Roofing Companies in Iowa City of aluminum include:
- Finish Warranty – Unlike steel, aluminum roofs have a finish warranty that is ideal for roofs in coastal areas to prevent rust.
- Light Weight – Aluminum tends to be the lightest metal a roofing company can install. It’s lightness also means it stores little heat and cools off quickly once it’s out of direct sunlight.
- Fire Resistance – While aluminum does not have a Class A fire rating like steel, it can achieve one when it has a proper underlayment, sheathing, and a fire barrier.
- Malleability – Aluminum is a flexible material, more so than steel, which lets it be configured into elaborate designs.
- Energy Efficiency – Aluminum roofs naturally reflect heat and light. This helps lower energy bills.
Contact One of The Best Roofing Companies in Iowa City
At Robison, We Stand Behind Our Word and Our Work!
At Robison, we are your trusted source for commercial roof repair in Iowa City. We provide fast and professional service for every kind of roof. Our team of professionals is here to service your roof from start to finish; we even provide residential roof repair in Iowa City. We are also a metal building contractor in Iowa City.
Robison is committed to providing you with the best options for your roof system and design. We approach every roofing project with a focus on functionality, cost, and aesthetics. Each project is handled with a unique perspective and integrity. Ingenuity and an eye for solutions make Robison the obvious choice for residential, agricultural, commercial, and industrial roofing systems.