3 Important Things You Need to Know About Asphalt, According to a Roofing Company in Mount Vernon — As a leading roofing company in Mount Vernon, we like to think we know a lot about roofs more than the Average Joe, and one roof thing we know a lot about is asphalt. Around the country, and especially in the Midwest, asphalt shingles are the most common roofing material. But why asphalt? Why not wood or clay? These are great questions many homeowners have.
At Robison, we are a top commercial and residential roofing company in Mount Vernon, so we feel like it’s our duty to inform you on everything related to roofing. Without further ado, here’s everything you need to know about asphalt.
What is Asphalt?
When it comes to using asphalt for a roof, asphalt shingles have fiberglass as the base and then are coated with asphalt that is mixed with minerals to make it waterproof. For extra coating, the shingles are coated in granules.
Pros of Asphalt
- Affordable: The first and most significant advantage of asphalt shingles compared to other materials is its affordability. Not only is the material itself inexpensive, but so is the cost for a roofing company in Mount Vernon to install it and repair it if necessary.
- Available: Asphalt is a readily available material, which explains why it is not only the most common roofing shingle, but an affordable one too.
- Easy Installation: In addition to a relatively cheap installation, asphalt shingles are also very easy to install on a new roof. It’s also easy to fix when a homeowner needs a residential roofing company in Mount Vernon.
- Protection: The granules that asphalt shingles are coated with offer excellent protection. Granules help protect against UV rays from further damaging the shingles and reflect heat from a home.
- Lifespan: The lifespan of asphalt is roughly 15-20 years, give or take weather conditions and level of upkeep. With annual roof inspections by a roofing company in Mount Vernon, you should definitely get your money’s worth with asphalt shingles.
Cons of Asphalt
- Poor Impact Resistance: While asphalt offers protection from sunlight, it isn’t necessarily the most durable roofing material on the market. Asphalt isn’t apt for extreme weather fluctuations due to expansion and contraction. Extreme heat can cause asphalt to become brittle and crack while freezing temperatures can damage it.
- Short Lifespan: You’re probably wondering why we included this as a disadvantage when we said the lifespan of asphalt is a benefit. This is because it can be both. For example, an asphalt roof is an excellent option if you plan on staying in your house for less than 20 years. If you plan on staying for more than 20 years, then asphalt may not be the wisest investment.
Need a new roof in Mount Vernon? Look no further than Robison. As one of the best residential and commercial roofers in Mount Vernon we are more than happy to discuss with you the many roofing material options available, such as asphalt. Contact us today!
At Robison, we are your trusted source for commercial roof repair in Mount Vernon. We provide fast and professional service for every kind of roof. Our team of professionals is here to service your roof from start to finish, we even provide residential roof repair in Mount Vernon. We also specialize in metal building construction in Mount Vernon. For a free estimate on your next project, fill out an online form here or call us at 319-363-0110.
We Are Your Roofing Company in Mount Vernon, IA
Robison is committed to providing you with the best options for your roof system and design. We approach every roofing project with a focus on functionality, cost, aesthetics. Each project is handled with unique perspective and integrity. Ingenuity and an eye for solutions make Robison the obvious choice for residential, agricultural, commercial, and industrial roofing systems.